If you tune into any sports coverage between now and the opening play of the Super Bowl, you’ll no doubt hear dozens of sports commentators trying to guess what the “X Factor” will be in the quarterback showdown between the legendary Tom Brady and underdog Nick Foles, as the Patriots and Eagles battle for football’s greatest prize.
This week, former NFL All-Pro quarterback Scott Mitchell gives us a rare glimpse inside the mindset of a performer seeking to peak during one of the world’s greatest sporting events. More importantly, we discuss how this mentality can be applied off the gridiron.
The Miami Dolphins drafted Scott in the 4th round in 1992 and he would play behind future Hall of Fame QB Dan Marino. Most fans and journalists assumed Scott would never see significant playing time. However, his football experience with Marino and the Dolphins’ legendary coach Don Shula would prove invaluable in developing his All-Pro mentality and winning ways. Ironically, this same knowledge has flowed into one of this Super Bowl QB’s mindset and it could be the “X Factor” on who will win this Sunday.
Three years later, as the starting quarterback for the Detroit Lions, Scott Mitchell set the single season records for both touchdowns and passing yards. Most observers never realized the ball moving down the field had more to do with Scott’s mentality than any physical technique. It was a mix of visualization, intuition and confidence built from years of repetitively drilling the football basics, which many of his NFL competitors considered “kid’s stuff.”
In this episode, you’ll learn:
• How Scott used the power of visualization as early as grade school to achieve his vision of playing in the NFL, even when he was told repeatedly that playing professional football was impossible.
• The role intuition played in Scott’s successful decision-making while performing under NFL pressure.
• How an appearance on the TV show, The Biggest Loser, helped Scott grasp that he’s “more than a football player.”
• Plus, Scott’s Super Bowl prediction and why it comes full circle from his experience with the Miami Dolphins!
Finally, I answer a listener’s question about how pro athletes can get back in the Zone after being abruptly traded.
And as always, we place our order at the Zone Café, as we send you out for another Zone week!
Be in the Zone™!
If you have questions, comments, or something you want us to cover during our “Ask Jim” segment, you can email Jim directly and we’ll cover it on next week’s show!
Don’t forget to pre-order Jim’s new book, “The Blueprint: A Proven Plan For Successful Living” now at Amazon.com!
Ready to see results in every major area of your life in just 7-10 days? Get Jim’s 90-Second Rule™ program, consisting of 6-hours of audio, write-able workbook and video. Click here: 90-second-rule
Make sure to follow Jim Fannin on Twitter and Facebook as well!
Check out more episodes of The Jim Fannin Show on Radio Influence!
Subscribe to the Jim Fannin Show on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, and TuneIn Radio and don’t forget rate and review the show!
If you’re seeking to be entertained and educated while you become your genuine, authentic best self, The Jim Fannin Show is your weekly, go-to place to be.
Jim Fannin is America’s ZoneCoach®, coaching more champions in sports, business and life than anyone on earth for over 40 years. As one of the world’s foremost thought leaders, he is more than a life, business or sports coach. He is a “change your life” coach. With the ONLY proven blueprint for attracting the Zone mindset, Jim has helped transform millions of people’s lives by providing proven tools and techniques to create simplicity, balance and abundance.
Mr. Fannin has 40+ years of professional coaching, consulting and public speaking experience. He has coached 1000+ professional athletes from 10 sports and tens of thousands of individuals and hundreds of companies from 50 industries in peak performance. All have set personal records. Many have set team, industry or world records.
Each week Jim will focus the show on the peak performance mindset called the Zone. With his vast experience working with the best of the best, Jim will deliver the goods on who’s currently IN the Zone, who’s NOT and how you can find your own Zone pathway to success.
Jim’s client list reads as a “who’s who” list and his in-depth experience with their accomplishments are what set The Jim Fannin Show apart.
Jim Fannin has personally coached (to name a few):
- Chairmen, CEOs, and Senior Executives from 350 of the Fortune 500 from 50 different industries
- World’s #1 pro golfer; 10 different pro golfers to their first victory; LPGA major Champion; 3 NCAA champions; 8 time Big Ten golf champions; World’s #1 golf instructor
- Olympic gold medalists
- 2 MLB Hall Of Famers; 5 MLB MVPs; 26 MLB All Stars; 4 Cy Young Award winners; NBA All Stars; NFL All Pros; World Cup players; MLS Cup champions; MLS MVPs
- 7 World’s Top 10 pro tennis players; #1 pro from 16 different countries; 4x Wimbledon Doubles champion; World Davis Cup finalist;
French Open champion; 7 National Amateur champions; 12 State Amateur champions
- NCAA All Americans from six different sports
- NCAA Coaches Of The Year; MLB Manager Of The Year; NBA Coach Of The Year
- World Champion Poker players
- New York Times Best Selling Authors
- Academy Award winning director
- Actors, authors, screenwriters, musicians, opera singers, country singers, artists, scientists, politicians, and two entire American cities (for real)
Want to know how to attract the Zone? Download weekly to discover the pathway to your untapped potential as Jim guides you through the intricate process of peak performance. Listen, learn and be entertained as America’s ZoneCoach, Jim Fannin reveals his 40-year secrets of success.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Leave a Reply